Mariah Carey glitter-bombs 'American Idol' contestant Candice Glover (Video, poll)

On "American Idol," a golden voice deserves a golden reward, according to Mariah Carey.

The pop star and co-judge glitter-bombed "American Idol" contestant and power vocalist Candice Glover after she performed the ballad "Lovesong" by The Cure on Wednesday's episode of the FOX singing contest show. (Watch video below)

Glover, a 23-year-old resident of St. Helena Island, North Carolina, received a standing ovation for her performance, which was the second and final one she gave during the show, and was moved to tears.

"Let me just say on behalf of all my judges up here -- one of the greatest performances in the history, 12 years of 'American Idol'!" veteran co-judge Randy Jackson said.

Carey, a Grammy-winning power vocalist herself who is known for a slew of popular No. 1 ballads, later said on Twitter: "Candice... La voie d'un ange #idol," which is French for "the way of an angel."

She also gave Glover the golden box that contained the glitter. The contestant showed it off in a video interview posted on the official "American Idol" YouTube page. (Watch it below)

"She came on stage and graced me with the glitter," Glover said.

For their two performances, the remaining six contestants -- Glover, Lazaro Arbos, Angie Miller, Amber Holcomb, Kree Harrison and Janelle Arthur -- sang songs written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David as well as songs "they wish they had written" during the two-hour episode. Before "Lovesong," Glover sang "the 1960s song Don't Make Me Over," made famous by Dionne Warwick.

Jackson called her rendition "crazy good" saying it w! as "the b! est vocal of the night" and one of her "best performances ever." Carey said she agreed. Co-judge Keith Urban said she was in his top 3.

"I feel great about my first performance," Glover said in her FOX interview. "My first performance I was a little bit nervous because I didn't really know the song and I wanted to make it more current than what it is. For my second performance, that is me. That is completely me and I just wanted to show that to the world and have everyone know who I actually am and I think I did a good job at doing that."

"Worst performance"

The contestant criticized most on Wednesday's show was Arbos, a 22-year-old native of Cuba who grew up in Florida and who stutters when he talks but sings fluidly. Jackson, Carey, Urban and co-judge Nicki Minaj were not impressed by his performance of the 1960s song "(They Long to Be) Close to You."

"No, no, no, no that was horrible," Jackson said. "I think that's the worst performance you've ever had on the show."

The judges' response to his other performance -- of the Robbie William single "Angels" - was lukewarm.

"I thought that my first song wasn't my best song," Arbos said after the show. "I don't know what went wrong. I'm just doing my best."

One out of the six remaining contestant is expected to be eliminated on Thursday.

Coincidence? Carey's glitter bomb on "American Idol" came more than 11 years after her first major film. "Glitter," bombed at the box office following its Sept. 21, 2001 release.

Do you think Candice Glover's performance was glitter bomb-worthy? Do you think Lazaro Arbos' was "horrible"? Who do you think will win season 12 of "American Idol"? Who do you think will be eliminated next? Vote in our polls below.

(Copyright 2013 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments