News: Mariah Carey Focused On Honesty, Constructive Criticism for 'American Idol'

Njai Joszor 9/21/2012 9:25:58 AM

Mariah Carey is unsure if people will consider her too nice or mean when"American Idol" premieres, but she does believe the word "honest" will be inplay.

"I try to be honest and I try to be constructive. I don't know if that meansthat I'm nice or mean or whatever," says Carey. "I'm a producer and I'm asongwriter, and I look at myself as a singer as kind of third. But I look atthese kids as though we're in the studio producing a record."

Based off auditions she has been through so far, Carey believes in givingcontestants a constructive suggestion if necessary.

"If I feel they should have done something a certain way, I'll say, 'you cantry this, you can try this,' only in a constructive way, to sort of be aguide and someone to give them guidance rather than, like, judging somebody,"she tells THR.

As widely reported, the "Triumphant" singer and fellow judges, includingNicki Minaj, Keith Urban and Randy Jackson, appeared at their firstauditions for the new season earlier this week. Despite rumors about issuesbetween some of them, namely Mariah and Nicki, Ryan Seacrest says there is no animosity.

"Nicki and Mariah are two very different, strong, powerful successful womenon the panel - there are not too many dull moments between the two of them.But at the end of the day, we all hug and laugh and go home and get ready foranother day," Seacrest told "Today" earlier this week.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the econ! omy

"American Idol" is expected to premiere January 2013 on FOX.


Comments