I know I'm no Mariah Carey: Cheryl hits back at everyone who mocked her vocals at the Jubilee Concert

Cheryl states the obvious and admits that her singing abilities arent, er, all that during her Radio 1 takeover

Cheryl Cole rocked up to Radio 1 in polka dots yesterday Cheryl Cole rocked up to Radio 1 in polka dots yesterday

It's not easy being CherylCole. One minute you're the nation's sweetheart and everyone's fave X Factor judge and the next, you're being publicly slated for singing like a banshee. And using Auto-Tune

Yep, poor old Chezza can't win.

But the singer, 28, has hit back at those critics who mocked her Diamond Jubilee concert performance, and has admitted she's "no Mariah Carey".

Gary Barlow and Cheryl Cole on stage outside Buckingham Palace during the Diamond Jubilee Concert Perhaps singing with the talented Mr Barlow didn't help

PA

The Geordie star, who was accused of miming during her recent appearance on The Voice, said: "I am very aware of my ability.

"I know I'm no Mariah Carey but I think the emotion in the song is what matters.

"It's making people feel what you're singing about.

"My new album is designed to entertain and I know when I take to the stage and I see a million little lights it really is game time.

"I am so excited to be back out there on t! our. It' s the best part of what I do and I can't wait."

Cheryl Cole at the studios of Radio 1 Cheryl pulled a funny face on the way in and it made us LOL

Rex

Even more brilliantly, during her Radio 1 takeover last night, she played her new single, Call My Name - which is currently at the top of the iTunes UK chart - and she joked: "See, I just mimed all the way through it again."

Speaking to Radio 1 DJ Greg James, she added: "I've grown as a person and an artist. You can hear that in my music. I feel brand new; I'm bullet proof.

"I feel as hard as the times I've had. But I think everything happens for a reason, even if you can't always say what that reason is."

Cheryl Cole at the studios of Radio 1 It's all about emotion yeah? We feel that, Chez, we feel that real good

Rex

If you're wondering why she is wearing weird trousers in the Call My Name video, the choice of clothing certainly happened for a reason - she actually wanted to look like Will Smith and MC Hammer, circa 1990.

Girls Aloud starCherylcited Will's TV show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and MC Hammer's video for U Can't Touch This as the inspirations for her image overhaul.

She says: "It's really true. I rang the choreographer and said 'You're gonna think I'm really crazy. I kinda feel like I wanna do those big leg movements from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. And dress like MC Hammer'.

"It's just wh! at I wan ted to do when I listened to the track." Well, she got her way so it's quite clear who wears the trousers...

Watch the Call My Name video below...


Comments