Lanie Lane thrilled about her fame

LISTENING to her debut album, To The Horses, you would not suspect that Lanie Lane's first musical influence was Mariah Carey.

Lanie Lane

LISTENING to her debut album, To The Horses, you would not suspect that Lanie Lane's first musical influence was Mariah Carey.

Her voice is sassy, sultry and smoky but with a sweet whimsical undercurrent.

Her cute and quirky wardrobe is a parade of vintage finds and her sound harks back to the essence of singers of the past.

But it was the pop diva Mariah Carey who first instilled the love of singing into Lane's soul.

"I remember I was five and I watched a video of Mariah Carey singing Hero.

"She was just an amazing performer back in the day and I thought 'oh I want to be a singer'," Lane said in her sweet, lilting voice.

When we last chatted, Lane was giddy with schoolgirl-like excitement on the eve of her album release.

Since its release in October it has scored critical acclaim and two of Lane's tracks have been heard on the hit TV shows Crownies and Glee.

She also found time to accept an invitation from the formidable Jack White to record a couple of tracks in his Nashville studio.

The songs appear on White's latest album and she will support him during his Australian shows.

When we chat this time Lane is calm and reflective.

On the success of her album and working with Jack White she said she could not be more thrilled.

"On a whole it's been so incredible and I've been enjoying each thing as it happens," she said.

"I want to have a long career and be playing music for the rest of my life. It's all a journey, I guess."

Honesty and truth is a strong theme in Lane's music and she is relishing expl! oring th is further in the new batch of tracks she is working on.

"I've had so much growth in my personal life, I feel the songs are now deeper. They're not all serious but they all come from experience," she said.

"It's still honest and truthful but more where I am now. In your twenties you experience so much change all the time and I am constantly shedding songs of experience and making an album is a record of that time in your life."

Lane hopes to record her second album later in the year but as for further long term career goals, she has no plans.

"I don't like to be about the end. It sounds lame but it's important to enjoy the moment," she said.

"Ultimate dreams are in the now. If you live in the now and enjoy the moment life will be much better."

Lane plays The Venue in Townsville on August 25.

She also plays The Spotted Cow in Toowoomba on August 30, the Sound Lounge in Currumbin on August 31, the Brisbane Festival Spiegeltent on September 27 and the Caloundra Festival on September 29.


Comments