'American Idol' Judges Mariah Carey And Nicki Minaj Brush Off Their Latest Spat

WENNWENN

American Idol is set to kick off for another season, but warring judges Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj have refused to be drawn on the recorded bust up that grabbed the headlines during auditions for the show in October.

The pair were filmed trading verbal blows on set in North Carolina, but despite the incident being the latest in a long line of spats, Carey remained casually dismissive when pressed on her relationship with Minaj earlier this week.

Sometimes things get heated for their own reasons, she told The Hollywood Reporter. I dont think the panel has an issue.

Fiery rapper Minaj also dodged questions about the spat, but admitted she can be confrontational when challenged.

I am scary and intimidating, she said. I definitely demand respect. Im also a sweet person. Im a loving person. But I dont want to be f***ed with.

However, she couldnt resist taking a backhanded swipe at the R&B superstar when asked if her outrageous image was too much for the family oriented show.

I could think of at least one other person that shows more cleavage than me, she quipped. Despite maintaining a tough exterior, show insiders have been surprised by the rappers warmth, intelligence, eloquence.

The perception of Nicki is unfair really, said American Idol executive Ken Warwick. Everyone thought she was just a daft, half-educated rapper. But she has got a heart, and its starting to show, along with her intelligence, which threw some of us as well. And her eloquence and grasp of whats going on. I think shell surprise a lot of people.

While she may be a hit with execs, Minaj admits she only accepted a judging role on such ca high profile show after talking it over ! with her nearest and dearest.

I had a lot of talks with people my family, my best friends, my label, Lil Wayne, management and then the producers, she said. Sometimes you are afraid of being too famous because its almost, like, is that even cool? Being that accessible, someone you see on TV every week? I never pictured myself as that type of person. Im still surprised that I decided to do it.

Mariah was equally cautious before signing up for the show, and admits she only agreed to take part after talking it over with hubby Nick Cannon.

I was on the fence about the whole thing, she said. I got approached by all the showshe (Nick) said I should do it because its at the top, its the cream of the crop. And I felt like, Do the show thats produced massive stars who have had major careers.

Season 12 of 'American Idol' will premiere in the USlater this month.

Liam Payne Labels Zayn Malik 'The Laziest Member Of One Direction'Fifty Shades Of Grey: Chris Hemsworth Set To Dominate As Christian Grey?Khloe Kardashian's Plan To Have Baby To Save Lamar Odom Marriage Rumours Slammed

Comments