Rihanna: 'Mariah Carey is my biggest musical inspiration'

Rihanna has revealed that she considers Mariah Carey her biggest musical inspiration.

The Bajan star explained that she looked up to the diva when she was growing up and felt "connected" to her story as a bi-racial performer.

Rihanna at US GQ Men of the Year awards, 13.11.12
Mariah Carey

Startraks Photo/Rex Features

"I remember looking up to people like Mariah Carey," Rihanna told The Ellen Show. "I identified with her in so many ways.

"She was bi-racial, she was also young and I remember just hearing her story and really being connected to it.

"Now, I moved to America and I started listening to pop music and rock music and all these other bands [and] artists that I never knew about from the '80s, the '70s."

She added: "I draw inspiration from everything, even if it's weird, there's always something you can find. The weirdest things are sometimes the coolest."

Rihanna will release her seventh studio album Unapologetic worldwide on November 19.

Watch the music video for Rihanna's 'Diamonds' below:

For more breaking entertainment and tech coverage follow Digital Spy on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.


Comments