Kelly Clarkson: "American Idol," Mariah Carey being a judge, and how her boyfriend inspired her

I'm kind of super-proud that I'm from the show and Mariah Carey's going to be on it, Kelly told Extras Terry Seymour. Just because I'm a huge fan of hers.

Clarkson, who was the first "Idol" winner and co-star/mentor on ABC's summer series "Duets," explained why she wouldn't want to be a judge on "AI."

"I don't like the judging part of it," she said. "That's what I liked about 'Duets.' I got to actually mentor them and it was more fun. I don't think I'd be honest. I think I'd get home and be like, "Did you see that, boy? He was bad!' I don't think I'd say that on TV because people would hate me!"

Instead, she would rather spend time with boyfriend Brandon Blackstock, son of her manager Narvel Blackstock and step-son of Oklahoma superstar Reba McEntire. The two also share a trainer and he inspired her to lose 30 pound, she said.

"I got a boyfriend, right? When you're going home alone, you don't care as much, but when you're going home, trying to impress people, you're worried a little bit."

Clarkson's "Duets" had its summer finale July 19 on ABC. She is continuing her U.S. tour which heads to Australia and Europe later this year.


Comments