Quick Hits: Mariah Carey, T.I., Nelly & Dr. Dre, Jerry Garcia

August 3, 2012

Mariah Carey

In a conference call on Thursday, Mariah Carey unveiled her new single "Triumphant (Get 'Em)," featuring Rick Ross and Meek Mill, and discussed her upcoming album, which does not yet have a title. "Working with Ross and Meek on the same record was incredible," Carey stated, according to Billboard.com. "Obviously Ross is a star and everybody loves him. I'm a fan of his music. I really, really wanted to work with him. I love the tone of his voice. I think the contrast of his voice and mine would be something special. I always like to do collaborations that people might think are different." "Triumphant" is the first single offCarey's 14th studio effort. "I'm collaborating with a lot of my favorite people but the main thing is [that] I'm not trying to follow any particular trend," she said about the album. "I want it to be well received. I want to stay true to myself and the music that I love and make the fans happy." Carey also recently signed on as a judge for the next season of American Idol.

When T.I. returned home from prison last fall, he began working on his eighth album, Trouble Man. The album was most recently expected to drop in September, but the Atlanta rapper is not rushing the process and he says it will be a few more months until it is ready. "Me being the perfectionist that I am, I'm still tweaking and fine-tuning, trying to perfect all parts of this project," Tip told MTV News. "I did, like, 124 songs, and I've narrowed it down to 86 now, so now I have to continue to narrow down and continue to make it better. I'm not trying to paint myself into a corner with a date. I'm trying to make sure that the project is the absolute best it could be, and I'm trying to get it down by the end of the year."!

Dr. Dre and Nelly have been working together in the studio, but Nelly is playing coy about whether their collaboration will end up on his next album, M.O., which is scheduled to come out later this year, or Dre's long-awaited Detox LP. "It's not about my album. It's not about his album. We don't know what we're doing yet. The thing was we just wanted to hang out, vibe out, see what we could come up with," Nelly explained to MTV News. "We came up with a few thangs that he has, that he's keepin' under lock and key," he said, laughing. "We'll see where that goes."

Jerry Garcia would haveturned 70 on August 1, so in celebration, Grateful Dead guitarist Bob Weir is offering a free webcast concert tonight called "Move Me Brightly." The event brings together an all-star group of musicians,including members of Phish, The Hold Steady, Vampire Weekend and more, who will perform several hours' worth of Garcia material. In addition to Grateful Dead members Weir and Donna Jean Godchaux, other participants include Phish's Mike Gordon, Furthur's Joe Russo and Jeff Chimenti, The Hold Steady's Craig Finn and Tad Kubler, Vampire Weekend's Chris Tomson, The Black Crowes' Adam MacDougall, singer/songwriters Jim Lauderdale, Jonathan Wilson, Cass McCombs, Harper Simon and more. "Move Me Brightly: Celebrating Jerry Garcia's 70th Birthday" will be webcast from TRI Studios tonight, August 3, beginning at 9:30 p.m. EST via www.TRIStudios.com and Yahoo! Music.


Comments